20 min. 30 min.
You will need 1 x 20cm fluted flan ring with a loose bottom, lightly greased.
Pre heated oven gas 5/ 190c
250g plain flour plus pinch of salt
125g cold unsalted butter, cubed
25g Caster sugar
1 egg yolk mixed with 4 tblsp chilled water
600g cooking apples, peeled, cored & chopped roughly
75g caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
3 – 4 eating apples (Cox’s or Braeburn for example)
75g apricot jam or glaze
- Make the pastry. I always use a processor for this: tip the flour into the bowl with a pinch of salt and the sugar then add the cubed butter. Process for a few seconds until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Keeping the processor running, add the egg & water mix slowly until the mixture comes together into a smooth ball.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill briefly in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: put the prepared cooking apples into a pan with the sugar and spices. Simmer gently on the hob until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the flan ring and prick the base.
- Spoon the cooled filling into the pastry case and smooth down.
- Peel, core and slice the eating apples thinly and arrange neatly in concentric circles over the filling.
- Brush with half of the apricot jam and place in the centre of a pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes until the apples are nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven and brush with a little more apricot jam to finish and serve warm with whipped cream.