Preheat oven to gas5/ 190c
You will need a large flameproof casserole pot with a lid.
Cooking time: 2 ½ hours
2 x tblsp olive oil
1 x large onion, peeled & finely chopped
2 x garlic cloves, peeled & minced
1 tblsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
This template is empty
2 tsp ground coriander
500g good quality stewing steak, trimmed & cubed
1 tblsp plain flour
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g red kidney beans, drained
Approx. 300ml hot beef stock
2 x large bay leaves
1. Place a large flameproof casserole pot onto a medium heat and saute the onion and garlic to soften.
2. Roll the cubed beef in the flour and fry in batches with the onion and garlic.
3. Add the spices to the pan and fry just briefly to release the flavours.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and the stock, the bay leaves & seasoning.
5. Stir well then bring to a simmer, put the lid on and place in the centre of the preheated oven.
6. Braise for two hours, check that the beef is tender – pop it back in for another half an hour if needed.
7. Garnish with sour cream and a little chopped fresh coriander and serve with cornbread.
You will need 1 x 900g loaf tin, greased & lined
Preheat the oven to gas 6/200c
30g butter, melted
140g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarb of soda
130g dried polenta (otherwise known as cornmeal)
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tblsp soft brown sugar
2 x medium free range eggs, beaten
250m – 300ml whole milk
Squeeze of lemon
50g cheddar with chives, grated
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and sugar into a mixing bowl.
2. Stir in the polenta, chilli flakes and seasoning.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the beaten eggs, milk, melted butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season lightly.
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle the grated cheese over.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 -45 minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t over brown. You can always pop a sheet of foil over the top for the last 10 minutes.
6. Serve warm, thickly sliced and with butter if you wish.
7. Cornbread will keep for 3 days wrapped in foil and stored in an airtight container.