10 - 15 min. 15 - 20 min.
250g soft margarine
250g caster sugar
1 tblsp vanilla extract
4 medium eggs, beaten
250g self raising flour, sifted
75g fresh blueberries, plus a few extra for decoration
200g softened butter
400g icing sugar, sifted
Violet gel edible colouring
You will need:
1 x 12 cup muffin tin
12 x paper cake cases
1 x piping bag and star nozzle
Oven preheated to gas 4/ 180c
1. Place the margarine and sugar into a large bowl and beat together until very light and fluffy. Either use a stand mixer with paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer.
2. Add the eggs, a little at a time and add a spoonful of flour with each addition – this will help to stop the mixture from curdling.
3. Continue until all the eggs are mixed in then fold the remaining flour in with the vanilla extract and blueberries.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly between the cases and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, until nicely risen and lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile beat the softened butter and icing sugar together. Add a minute blob of gel colour (I use the end of a cocktail stick). Beat again and add another tiny drop of gel if needed – you are looking for a lavender colour!
6. Fill the piping bag with the icing and twist the end then when the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe a rosette of icing on top of each cupcake and decorate with whatever edible decorations you fancy!
These cupcakes will keep for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container.
Denise Tollyfield 2016